Welcome!

I am so glad you stopped by. On this Blog I will be sharing recipes that I have tried and that I think are yummy. I don't have pictures of most of them but I will add them when I can. Most of my recipes are for the easy cook although I consider myself an intermediate cook.

Bread and cookies are my specialty so I will be sharing a lot of recipes for those. I use my bread machine for mixing the dough, but always take it out and do the rest by hand. I just like the texture better. I started making bread by scratch when I was 12 years old. It took a whole Saturday to make 8 loaves. My mom made every kind of bread imaginable but at that time I only made white bread. I've branched out since then and usually only make 1 or 2 loaves at one time. Fresh yeast and good flour makes the bread.

Welcome to my Blog, and my kitchen!

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Au Gratin Potatoes

This is my go-to recipe when I make baked ham.  I found the recipe in "Six Ingredients or Less" cookbook years ago.  Let it get good and brown on top.

What You'll Need:

  • 4 to 5 large russet potatoes (about 8 cups sliced)
  • ¼ cup butter
  • ¼ cup flour
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 cup (4-ounces) Cheddar cheese, shredded
  • ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided

In a medium saucepan, melt the butter; stir in flour with a whisk.  Add milk and stir until smooth.  Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook, stirring frequently, until thickened.  This should be about the consistency of a medium white sauce or gravy.  Remove from heat.  Add Cheddar cheese and ¼ cup Parmesan cheese.  Stir until cheese is melted. 

Layer half the potatoes and half the sauce in a sprayed 11x7-inch baking dish.  Repeat with remaining potatoes and sauce.  Sprinkle remaining ¼ cup Parmesan cheese over the top.  Cover with foil and bake 1 hour.  350° F.  Remove foil and bake 30 to 40 minutes or until potatoes are tender.  Makes 6 servings



No comments:

Post a Comment