Welcome!

I am so glad you stopped by. On this Blog I will be sharing recipes that I have tried and that I think are yummy. I don't have pictures of most of them but I will add them when I can. Most of my recipes are for the easy cook although I consider myself an intermediate cook.

Bread and cookies are my specialty so I will be sharing a lot of recipes for those. I use my bread machine for mixing the dough, but always take it out and do the rest by hand. I just like the texture better. I started making bread by scratch when I was 12 years old. It took a whole Saturday to make 8 loaves. My mom made every kind of bread imaginable but at that time I only made white bread. I've branched out since then and usually only make 1 or 2 loaves at one time. Fresh yeast and good flour makes the bread.

Welcome to my Blog, and my kitchen!

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Low Fat Oatmeal Breakfast Bars

I found this recipe online and tried it the other day.  It is moist and chewy with a lightly sweet, cinnamon flavor.  My husband likes it best with coffee, and has been taking it in his lunch for a morning snack.




Things you'll need:

  • 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup skim milk
  • 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 2 eggs or 1/2 cup liquid egg substitute (I used the eggs)
  • 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 2 Tablespoons honey
  • 1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup dried cranberries
  • extra brown sugar and cinnamon for sprinkling on top.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and lightly coat an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, combine oats, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt with a spoon or wire wisk.

In another bowl, mix the following ingredients with a wire whisk until well blended: milk, applesauce, eggs, brown sugar, canola oil, honey and vanilla extract.

Add the liquid ingredients to the large bowl with the dry ingredients.  Stir with a large spoon until well combined.  Fold in the dried cranberries.

Pour the batter into your baking dish, and lightly sprinkle the top with brown sugar and cinnamon.  Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.

Allow oatmeal breakfast bars to completely cool before cutting into nine squares.





No comments:

Post a Comment